Pros and Cons of Three Life Choices: Which Choice Are You Gonna Make?
When something is bothering you, you have three choices:
- Let it go.
- Do something about it.
- Stew over it.
Each has its pros and cons. And here’s what I think those are.
Let it go.
- Pros: Oh, it feels so good. If you TRULY let it go. You have to think about it and put it through the “does it really matter” test. Often things bother us just because of our state of mind at the time. Maybe it won’t bother you so much after a good night’s sleep.
- Cons: You might think you let it go, while really you just shoved it deep down, only for it to emerge stronger and uglier at another time. Then, everybody’s in trouble. Be very careful.
Do something about it.
- Pros: Standing up for yourself is a good trait. Looking in the mirror and fixing what you don’t like will help you grow. Trying to change an injustice is what this world needs. Action moves us forward and teaches us valuable lessons from past mistakes.
- Cons: You’ve got to think long and hard about your action. If it involves someone else, you could easily be dumping your crap in their lap. If it was your problem in the first place, maybe you should keep it that way. Also, you have to be careful that your action doesn’t make the situation worse or cause a whole new problem. I’m thinking specifically of public protests that turn violent and harmful or even deadly.
Stew over it.
- Pros: None.
- Cons: The definition of stew is great anxiety or agitation. I think you see the cons here.
It takes years of practice and lots of bothersome situations to figure out your best choice in each situation. Who knows if anybody ever figures it out. But if you spend your life trying to figure it out, you are ahead of the game. Lots of people choose number three automatically. Try not be one of those people.
And maybe, just maybe, think long and hard about number two, as well.
Do no harm.