Pros and Cons of Three Life Choices: Which Choice Are You Gonna Make?
When something is bothering you, you have three choices:
- Let it go.
- Do something about it.
- Stew over it.
Each has its pros and cons. And here’s what I think those are.
Let it go.
- Pros: Oh, it feels so good. If you TRULY let it go. You have to think about it and put it through the “does it really matter” test. Often things bother us just because of our state of mind at the time. Maybe it won’t bother you so much after a good night’s sleep.
- Cons: You might think you let it go, while really you just shoved it deep down, only for it to emerge stronger and uglier at another time. Then, everybody’s in trouble. Be very careful.
Do something about it.
- Pros: Standing up for yourself is a good trait. Looking in the mirror and fixing what you don’t like will help you grow. Trying to change an injustice is what this world needs. Action moves us forward and teaches us valuable lessons from past mistakes.
- Cons: You’ve got to think long and hard about your action. If it involves someone else, you could easily be dumping your crap in their lap. If it was your problem in the first place, maybe you should keep it that way. Also, you have to be careful that your action doesn’t make the situation worse or cause a whole new problem. I’m thinking specifically of public protests that turn violent and harmful or even deadly.
Stew over it.
- Pros: None.
- Cons: The definition of stew is great anxiety or agitation. I think you see the cons here.
It takes years of practice and lots of bothersome situations to figure out your best choice in each situation. Who knows if anybody ever figures it out. But if you spend your life trying to figure it out, you are ahead of the game. Lots of people choose number three automatically. Try not be one of those people.
And maybe, just maybe, think long and hard about number two, as well.
Do no harm.
Five Things You Might Feel When Life Sucks and What To Do About It
*****Warning – Profanity*****
It doesn’t matter what it is. Maybe you’re incredibly stressed out. Maybe you keep fighting with your spouse. Maybe your children are behaving horribly. Maybe your laundry is piled up like a damn pyramid. Maybe someone you care about is dying. Maybe you’ve just had it up to here with the pressure of being who you are.
Whatever it is…life pretty much sucks right now. But on top of the sucking, you also have to feel these five things. And you are ready to fucking lose it.
- Loneliness – you feel completely alone, that you are the only one who can or cares to fix any of this; if you don’t do it, nobody will; you want to just crawl under a damn rock, but then everything would probably get worse
- Isolation – might seem like the same as loneliness, but it’s not; it’s that feeling that everybody thinks you have the plague; maybe you’ve bitched one too many times; maybe you cry too much; maybe nobody wants to play with your kid anymore and maybe the parents don’t want your kid around theirs; maybe you’ve just been a little too much YOU and nobody can take it anymore. Hell, YOU can’t take you anymore!!
- Irritability – you’re right at the edge all the fucking time; the tiniest thing will send you over; somebody questions you, looks at you funny, or God forbid, criticizes you – – – forget it. That shit won’t fly. Don’t they realize how close you are to breaking every dish in that cabinet? Leave me the hell alone.
- Depression – it’s just really damn sad that life has to suck right now. You didn’t do anything to deserve it. In fact, you thought you were doing the complete opposite; being a good person, helping others, waking with a positive attitude, being a better person than you were the day before. A whole lot of good that shit did.
- Anger – This mother fucking shit is just about all I can take and the next asshole who does anything to make it worse will have a fucking bloody nose.
What do you do about it?
You say, fuck it.
You feel it. You own it. Then you take care of you.
You are the only one who will.